I often get asked for suggestions on what to wear to an engagement photography session. So in addition to my article on places for engagement photo shoots in seattle, I thought I would add an article on what clothes to wear, along with a couple other thoughts.
Engagement sessions are a great way to get to know me. It helps out a lot on the wedding day if you already know me and my style and how I interact with the two of you. Plus if you know me, and I know you, you’ll be a lot more comfortable around me on your wedding day, and I can get images that better show your personalities and relationship.
Suggestions on what to wear:
- Wear something you are comfortable in. If you’re not comfortable, it will show in the pictures. 2-3 outfit changes are welcomed, and they give variety to the pictures.
- Think about layering clothing.
- It’s best not to wear tight jeans or other clothes that are overly tight and restrict movement. Or show curves you don’t want shown.
- Wear something you love, and make sure it’s ‘you’. It’s best not to wear something you are going to wish you didn’t wear in a few weeks.
- A touch dressier than a normal night can be fun, just make sure it’s still you.
- Wear clothes that are complementary in style and color. Don’t be too matchy. For example, you could both wear fall colors or both wear different shades of blue.
- Wear clothes that are the same level of dressyness. Don’t dress up and have your fiance wear their everyday street clothes.
- Have the clothes match the location and season for the shoot. Shorts and flip flops probably are not the best on a cold day (this goes back to being comfortable, if you are not warm it’s harder to look warm and happy)
- Darker colors are slimming and they are also easier to photograph. But if you have something in white or off white, don’t be afraid to wear it.
- Patterns go out of style quickly, and the background usually has enough texture that patterns can sometimes make the photos too busy.
- Wear shoes you love.
- Wear shoes you can comfortably walk in. If I’m your photographer we usually walk a fair bit.
- Leave your purse behind, unless you want it in the photos. (You can be more free and fun without it) I can carry your keys and a few necessities in my camera bag. I don’t like to carry sunglasses so leave those behind or plan on wearing them. We can go back to the car for clothing changes or change when we switch locations.
- If you want to have your dog in some of the photos, it would be best to have a friend come along to watch him/her while we are taking other shots.
Other Things to Remember:
- Plan on having a good time. Think of it more like a date, and less of smiling to the camera.
- The best time for photos is in the evening when the light is soft, and we have the chance of getting a sunset.
- If there is something you want me to avoid photographing it helps if you let me know. That way I can work with you to keep the scar, tattoo, part in your hair, or whatever you want me to keep out of the pictures out.